Ss Peter & Paul is a community rich in history and tradition; a parish that has provided for the spiritual, social, and educational needs of countless people in our area for 125 years. Originally organized to serve the many German immigrants living in Hudson County, the parish celebrated its first mass in 1889, in the parlor of the current rectory. After a unanimous vote, those present at the inaugural mass agreed to name their new parish after two great saints: Peter and Paul.
Within two years, Ss Peter and Paul created a school and constructed the first church building. The strong foundation allowed the church to grow and by the late 1920’s, the now multi-ethnic parish needed more space to worship. The present day church was dedicated on March 18, 1929. Over the next 35 years, the parish continued to thrive and in 1965, the present school building and convent were opened. Today the school building is home to an early childhood school and day care facility, while the convent area of the building houses some of our parish offices as well as the Benedict XVI Mission that staffs our parish and Holy See interns who work at the United Nations in New York City.
A long way from its German roots, the parish ministers not only to those who have been raised in Hoboken, but to the young adults and many families who now call Hoboken their home. Interestingly, over 57% of those 50,000+ who live here have moved in over the last 15 years